Ask Me Mondays: How Does Dry Shampoo Work?

Q: I'm really interested in the new "dry shampoos" to help preserve my blowout. How do they work, and which one do you recommend?

I love dry shampoos! I don't wash my hair every day, because it is thick, coarse, and terribly curly, and I have to use massive amounts of heat to get it straight after washing. If I washed it every day, I'm quite sure it would break off from the abuse I'd inflict on it.

Which is why I love dry shampoo so much. It works by absorbing the oil along the scalp, usually with some sort of talc base. After you give it a minute to soak everything up (oil, extra product, dirt, whatever), you simply brush it out, and all of that yuck goes with it.

Another benefit is that "dirty" hair holds styles easier. Have you ever scheduled an appointment for an updo with your hairstylist and you are instructed to come in with unwashed hair? That's because hair with a bit of grit holds a style longer. Adding dry shampoo to your hair will achieve the same effect.

Which ones do I like? I think they are all great. It really just depends on how much money you want to spend. I've put together a little slide show of all my favorites. Pick one that matches your price point.

Photo: Ojon Rub-Out Dry Cleanser, my favorite, $10.

0 comments:

NARS Cosmetics Spring 2010

Total Beauty

About Me

My photo
Meredith Edwards-Cornwall is the founder of online lifestyle websites RetrodivasBeauty.com and RetrodivasCloset.com. She is also known as @retrodiva on Twitter. She specializes in drinking large amounts of espresso, shopping, and enjoying social media. In all of her free time she writes for StyleBakeryMom.com twice a week, and does various other freelance gigs involving writing, designing, and generally being awesome. While she believes that success is indeed a job in New York, she currently resides in Virginia Beach, Virginia with her husband, two children, and two cats and has hung on to her day job.

Followers

Facebook