Product Review: L'Oreal Skin Genesis Daily Treatment Serum Concentrate

I'm turning 36 this September. September 11, as a matter of fact. I'm fortunate to not have many fine lines or wrinkles, but that is probably due to genetics, not my faithful use of anti-aging products. Truthfully, I only started using a basic moisturizer about three years ago. My skin has always been very oily, blemish-prone, and altogether difficult. I've spent more of my time trying to prevent breakouts and treat the problems that I have instead of looking to the future and using sunscreen, using anti-aging products, and moisturizing well.

It has only been recently that I have become aware of the importance of anti-aging. I don't want to see any fine lines or wrinkles, who does? So I have developed a newfound interest in what is out there for that type of skin care. Ladies, there is a LOT out there. I had no idea! Of course we all want to have beautiful skin, but the number of choices is simply overwhelming!

I'm sure many of you know my fondness for drugstore products. I have long since held the opinion that you can find almost anything you need at a more than reasonable price. So I was excited to try out L'Oreal's upcoming Skin Genesis line.

But first, a bit of background. Skin Genesis is a technology-advanced, cell-strengthing system for stronger, tighter, more even skin, according to L'Oreal. Formulated with patented Pro-Xylane™, an exclusive L’Oréal molecule that strengthens skin and reignites cell activity layer by layer, and hyaluronic acid, skin’s natural hydrator. The creation of patented Pro-Xylane was the result of seven years of focused research on the function of skin’s glycosaminoglycans (GAGs), chains of sugar molecules found in the skin’s layers that hold together skin structures and create the ideal environment for skin’s natural functions. Realizing that GAGS get damaged and decrease in number with age and UV exposure, L’Oréal Research and Development worked to find a molecule that could stimulate GAG synthesis. The solution came in the form of xylose – derived from the beech wood plant, xylose is small enough to penetrate the skin’s layers and is also found naturally in skin. With that discovery, the Pro-Xylane molecule was born.

How do you like all that PR speak? I know. It's awesome.

Basically, here is what you need to know: it effectively penetrates the surface layers of the skin to optimize skin hydration. The dehydrated spheres of hyaluronic acid (naturally found in both the skin’s epidermis and dermis - it provides moisture to the skin, making it soft, smooth and elastic) inflate when in contact with water. This essentially means that when these bad boys plump up, it plumps up your skin, filling in fine lines and wrinkles. Make sense?

But how does it work? I know, you want the good stuff. I've been using Loreal Skin Genesis Multi Layer Cell Strengthening Daily Treatment Serum for over a week now, and I am very impressed with the product. I use it after cleansing and toning, but before moisturizing, and I use it twice a day, in the morning and the evening. I've noticed that my skin seems much smoother and softer, and while I don't really have anything other than "smile lines" around my eyes (which will never go away, I'm sure), I haven't noticed anything new crop up, and that is all I am looking for in a product like this: superior moisturizing and no new lines. So in my mind, it's well worth the expenditure. Besides, it could be an investment towards the future, as long as I keep wearing that sunscreen!

Look for a review of the accompanying moisturizing lotion coming soon.

L'Oreal's entire Skin Genesis line is available at most mass retailers, and the Loreal Skin Genesis Multi Layer Cell Strengthening Daily Treatment Serum Concentrate retails for approximately $19.99.


1 comments:

Jen Hill said...

Congrats on getting a top review on Total Beauty! Kudos Meredith.

There is a huge amount of skincare out there! Just when I think I have seen it all, I hear about another line. Some exotic antioxidant, peptide, secret miracle ingredient, it is completely overwhelming!!! I really appreciate the beauty blogging networks(and women like you) that review to help sort through some of the confusion.

Here's to good skin!

June 17, 2008 at 10:36 AM
NARS Cosmetics Spring 2010

Total Beauty

About Me

My photo
Meredith Edwards-Cornwall is the founder of online lifestyle websites RetrodivasBeauty.com and RetrodivasCloset.com. She is also known as @retrodiva on Twitter. She specializes in drinking large amounts of espresso, shopping, and enjoying social media. In all of her free time she writes for StyleBakeryMom.com twice a week, and does various other freelance gigs involving writing, designing, and generally being awesome. While she believes that success is indeed a job in New York, she currently resides in Virginia Beach, Virginia with her husband, two children, and two cats and has hung on to her day job.

Followers

Facebook